1.29.2007

Super Bowl Week

We know that feeling. The feeling that the media just won't leave it alone.

For whatever reason, the media (AKA, ESPN) feels we need extensive coverage of the Super Bowl. From the hotel the Colts are staying at to the exact time the Bears arrived at the airport. Honestly, it tears me up inside. I hate this week. Probably one of the worst weeks for sports during the course of the year (taking into account that the actual Super Bowl occurs next week, if we want to get technical).

I read in our newspaper that ESPN is giving us a grand total of 90 hours of Super Bowl coverage. What? 90? That's almost 4 full days of coverage on two teams. It blows my mind that they can actually take that much time talking about it and even more amazing that some people spend time watching it.

It isn't that we're getting hours of different stories, no. We're going to be getting the same ones over and over, for example:
Last year they were all over Jerome Bettis' last year and proper send-off. The year before -- yeah, TO. Some of "Holy Brady" in there, but not as much before the Super Bowl as you'd expect.

This year I expect a few things:
1. Peyton Manning - [dramatic voice]Will he ever win the big one??[/dramatic voice]
2. Lovie Smith - Is he going to leave to coach America's team?
3. Lovie Smith - How will he handle T.O. if he does leave for America's team?
4. Tony Dungy + Lovie Smith - Black supremacy. (Sorry, but after the 10th time hearing it, that's how it comes off.)
5. Rex Grossman - Is he really a QB, or is he just so bad he doesn't deserve that label?
I'm sure we'll get the occasional story about Tony Dungy's son who commited suidide last year, how Dungy left Tampa Bay and then they won, how quiet Marvin Harrison is, and how important Bob Sanders is for the defense of the Colts. As for the Bears, well, we're going to hear how the QB has to play well to win, the defense has to play well, and the special teams has to play well. Yeah. In order to win, you usually need to play well.

Another tip for the media: Lay off of the 2008 election, at least until we get to 2008. Hilary Clinton is a dip***. She's worse at flip-flopping than Kerry. "I supported the war back then, but if I knew what I know now, I wouldnt've supported it....President Bush actually put us in there. I was just doing my job incoherently and thought that even though he had support from everyone he might not've put us in there." Ummm, what? And about Barack Obama; lay off the hype. The media is dumb. "Here comes a black president! What we need!" ...30 minutes after that story airs... "He might be Muslim. He went to a Muslim extremist school. He's going to kill us." ...30 minutes after that, on ESPN... BREAKING NEWS!!!! Barack Obama is actually rooting for the Bears!


Bottomline, overhype is overkill. I'll watch some coverage on Sunday, but I'll be sleeping for the rest of the time. Granted, if my team were in it, I'd be more interested, but hearing the same stuff over and over is annoying.

No comments: